Thursday, September 16, 2010

Brewing


Work in progress 20x16"
by Susan Roux

I don't know why it is, but when things start brewing, I get excited.

I'm not talking about a good cup of tea here or conjuring up a witches brew. I'm talking about ideas. Possibilities. And not bad one's as brewing might imply...

One simple comment left on a blog.

That's how it all started. A stranger's blog. Someone I just recently found and followed. Don't you just love surprises? I do. From this comment came an email. It was a simple inquiry about weather and proper dress for October in Maine. I must say the reply was not as simple as the question. At this time of year, Maine can fluctuate 50 degrees from morning to noon! But don't let that scare you, its beautiful here.

The stranger is Karl Terry. He lives in the UK. Yes, he's coming to Maine. Coming with a large group of artist to paint the coast. I believe the rest of his posse lives in the US. Presently Karl and I are making plans to meet. I hope to travel to their location and set up my easel, to capture the coastline with my new acquaintance.

What is it about meeting foreign artists that excites me so? Maybe its a glimpse into a whole new way of looking at things. It can vary a lot with each culture. Last fall when Mike and I traveled to Ireland, I spent lots of time contacting artists there, long before we left. By the time our trip began, I made connections to meet with four different artists. Two I visited in their home studios and two I painted with. It was amazing.

So perhaps this anticipation brewing at present is kindled by stirred up memories. Nonetheless, I'm certain the encounter will be exciting and stimulating. Plus, who doesn't like an english accent?

Posted is my second attempt at Lisa. She's given me quite a challenge this time around. I hope to get back to her today and complete it. Then I'll post the two versions for you to see together...

4 comments:

  1. your portraits are wonderful even in progress and it sounds as though you will have a great time working with your new friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great portrait, even though it is not complete!

    I pulled up Karl Terry's blog and his work is really good! Have a wonderful time meeting and painting with him. The internet certainly does bring people together! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan you are just so much more than people ever know. A great artist and even more a caring person. Today you made my day so much better. You an barbra are the first ever to say that things could be better and show me how and fro the bottom of my heart I say thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man... you need to hook up with a travel agent... People are flocking to visit with you!!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Your comments are always appreciated.