Monday, December 28, 2009

Artists hosting artists


In the post "Let the journey happen", I mentioned Martine-Alison. She lives in France. I found her over the internet, much like I keep urging you to do. Let me tell you how it happened...

At the time I was looking for French artists. I had the idea to connect artists from Maine and France. I wanted to have them communicate together for a while. My plan was to invite the French artist here to stay for two weeks at which time we would take them painting in plein air, sometimes the whole group, sometimes alone with our guest. At a later date, the Maine artists would be hosted in France. I envisioned lots of marketing around the event, involving the media, both TV and print, to rouse interest. Next, I wanted to have exhibitions of our combined work in both countries following our creative exchange. Can you imagine such an international exhibition? I can.

I thought it was the perfect idea. Artist traveling to different countries for the cost of a flight and the agreement to host another for two weeks in their own home. We would get to meet artists we otherwise would never have met. We would paint together, exchange ideas, view different creative techniques and ultimately stimulate and inspire each other.

I never did find the artists needed to partake in this idea, but it never left my mind. Some artists here thought it was exciting, but many showed no interest. I would still love to see it realized, or a version of it. I had imagined five artists from each country, making us ten all together. Though it would have been fun as a large group, it might be more reasonable to lower the number and keep the huge media hoopla and exhibit out of the picture. Still, it would be an awesome way to gain recognition and improve everyone's resume!

This idea still seems amazing and possible to me. As I've mentioned, I sought out Irish artists before visiting Ireland. I suppose I'm trying to do a small portion, a small version, of it alone. Though no hosting was involved, perhaps it will evolve. I think getting to live together would be a huge added benefit. Imagine all the conversations that would occur during so much time together...

Imagine, imagine, imagine...

Perhaps someday I'll find enough artists interested in doing this with me. If that's you, please let me know. Post it in the comment section so we can all find each other. Maybe together we can make it happen.

This is how I met Martine-Alison. We have been communicating daily since. Its been nearly three years now. She has become more than a friend. I call her my twin. An ocean divides us, yet we are bound together. She has left inspiring comments on many of my posts. If you can read french, you should go back and read them. In the future, I will tell you more about this amazing person, friend, artist from across the pond...

1 comment:

  1. J'ai toujours trouvé ton idée géniale. Mais tu connais les difficultés... alors que si l'être humain pouvait demeurer spontané il n'y aurait aucun souci. Mais il est réfugié dans son confort, dans ses habitudes... et il faut savoir donner et partager (on en revient toujours à la même chose). Il est très difficile de bouleverser le train train quotidien des individus.
    Un échange créatif, partager des pratiques artistiques... je trouve ça formidable. On a toujours à apprendre au contact des autres. Mais je ne pense pas que c'est l'avis de tous les artistes peintres. Ce serait comme les dépouiller de leur secret... Ils n'ont pas tous envie de transmettre. Il faudrait qu'ils laissent de côté leur jalousie...
    Mais je suis confiante, il doit bien y avoir en ce monde une bonne poignée d'artistes motivés et intéressés comme toi et moi.
    Des artistes dignes de porter ce nom...

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts. Your comments are always appreciated.